What is it for ?
The EAN produces a regular ALARA Newsletter, widely distributed (especially in Europe), to provide a link between all those concerned with ALARA, mainly the health physicists, but also the managers, the radiation protection organisations, the research bodies, the regulatory bodies, the trade union representatives and the medical doctors. This Newsletter intends to reflect some major aspects of the ALARA life in Europe: evolution of regulations and judicial precedents, results of research, description of existing databases, analyses of dosimetric data, authorities and utilities ALARA programmes, available ALARA tools, need for ALARA improvements, lessons learnt from incidents, and recommendations to EC coming from the panel sessions of the EAN Workshops. Each issue includes one or two feature articles, as well as experts' viewpoints and ALARA information.
The content of the Newsletter has mainly been provided by EAN Members. However, the EAN Newsletter Editorial Board has decided to also encourage recipients of the Newsletter to submit article for inclusion in future issues. Submitted articles should aim to fit the current ediotorial line and will be selected on that basis.
You are free to translate the Newsletter: As in many countries the English language is not understood by some of the potential addresses of the Newsletter, it has been suggested it should be translated into other languages (Flemish, Spanish, French...). The Network is not able to do this centrally but, as the objective of the Newsletter is to facilitate as wide as possible dissemination of the ALARA culture, every participating organisation may translate the Newsletter and publish it as a 'common' publication with the European ALARA Network. Moreover any journal can translate one or more articles in its own publication using its national language, providing the original article in the Newsletter and authors are referenced.
Authors are solely responsible for their publication in this Newsletter. It does not represent the opinion of the community. The community and the Editorial Board are not responsible for any use that might be made of the data appearing therein.
You can access here the 41th issue of the European ALARA Network Newsletter (pdf, 4,5 Mo). Articles deal with:
- Occupational Radiation Protection Results in Germany - Results of the RP Register of the BfS, T. Rosentreter, U. Oeh, BfS, Germany
- ALARA Approach During the Dismantling of Hot-Cell M2 at CSK•CEN Mol.P. Antoine, M. Estas, F. Vermeersch, SCK•CEN, Belgium.
- Would you like to now more about decommissioning? A teaser for EAN next workshop.
- A New Database on Activity Concentrations and Radon Emanation/Exhalation Rates of Building Materis in the EU, C. Nuccetelli, ISS, Italy.
- The 3rd ERPW : a Feedback (and the opportunity to present an overview of CONCERT projects), A. Schmitt-Hannig, BfS, Germany.
- As usual: ALARA News with notably the announcement of the launch of the African ALARA Network and the IRPA Young Generation Network
- and an ALARA Quiz.